Written by: Courtney Bibo April 15, 2020
Smoky Sausage and Black Bean Soup
This recipe, for smoky sausage and black bean soup, offers great protein and fiber! Substitute regular Polish or Polska kielbasa for a low-sodium version to make this an even healthier option! See “Some Final Words” below for more tips on making healthier choices.
- 2 T olive oil
- 1 package Polish Kielbasa or Polska Kielbasa, sliced 1/4″ thick
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 stalks celery, sliced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 T chili powder
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp chipotle chili powder
- 2 T flour
- 3-4 C low-sodium chicken broth or water
- 1 chicken bouillon cube
- 2 cans black beans, drained
- Cilantro, chopped, for garnish
- Heat the oil up in a heavy-bottomed pot (like a Dutch oven). Once hot, add the sausage and cook until browned.
- Add the celery and onion. Saute 2-3 minutes. Add garlic. Saute 1 min.
- Add seasonings and cook until fragrant.
- Add your broth or water. Start with 3 C and see if you’d like it thinner. If so, add another cup.
- Take about 1/4 C of the broth or water (from your pot) and whisk in the flour until smooth. Add back to your pot.
- Add the beans. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, cover, and let simmer for 20 minutes.
- Adjust seasonings, if needed.
- Garnish with cilantro. It’ll add a fresh punch of flavor that goes well with the smokiness! Enjoy!
Some Final Words on Smoky Black Bean Soup
This recipe gets it’s smoky flavor from the combination of chipotle powder and chili powder. Feel free to adjust the amounts to suit your taste buds! If sodium is a concern for you, cut out the chicken bouillon, or buy the chicken bouillon powder, and use a 1/2 teaspoon instead of an entire cube, along with using the low-sodium version of the kielbasa. If fat is a concern for you, use turkey kielbasa! It’s not bad!
*I also have to apologize for there not being a photo for this recipe. I forgot to take one in my haste to get off to work! Whoops! When I make this again, I will post a photo!
**This recipe was originally taken from here and adapted.