Creamy beans and tomato sauce with feta and basil is extremely quick and very easy to make.
- Olive oil
- 1 shallot, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 can diced tomatoes with basil, garlic, oregano
- 1 tsp. dried oregano
- 5 sprigs fresh thyme
- 1/4 tsp each of sea salt, black pepper, garlic powder, onion powder
- 1 can cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- Feta crumbles
- Fresh basil, torn
- Baguette, sliced and toasted
- Heat some oil up in a heavy-bottomed pot (about 1-2 T)
- Add shallot and sauté until soft, then add garlic
- After garlic is fragrant (30 sec-1 min), add can of tomatoes. Use a little water to get the rest of the tomato juice out of the can and add to pot
- Add the rest of the seasonings and cook until fragrant
- Add beans and bring to a boil
- Once boiling, turn heat down to a simmer and allow to simmer for about 20 minutes
- Serve with feta and basil on top and don’t forget your baguette slices to mop up the juices with!
What’s great about this dish?
Good question! This dish is high in protein and fiber from the beans as well as a little bit of protein from the feta. The tomatoes provide vitamins A and C. Also, this dish is low in fat. It’s a great vegetarian dish!
Share this recipe to help your friends be the Smartest Patient by eating healthy!
P.S. Sorry my photo is subpar! Our lighting in our dining room is very subdued so dinner-time photos don’t get any natural light, or even good light! However, I promise you the dish is delish!